Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Day 7 -- St Mary's; Surgery and OB


Day 7
Thursday
4/11/09

I thought of something that I should probably explain to my blog readers. You are all probably aware of the interplay between semantics and political correctness, aspecially in the US. For simplicity and consistency's sake, I am writing using the same race/ethnicity identifiers most commonly used in South Africa and in my conversations with people here. This primarily includes "black", "white", and "coloured". That doesn't mean I am necessarily comfortable with those terms or support their use.

Finished up our shortened week at St. Mary’s today. Yesterday was spent in theatre (surgery) where I witnessed my first cesarean! It was amazing to see the baby lifted directly out of the womb, gasp, and then start wailing. However, I was surprised to see the antiquated way the incision was made – vertically from navel to pubic bone – very unlike the small below-the-bikini line incisions we’re used to. After the final suture was placed, the patient was promptly rolled out and up to the cesarean recovery room, a large room lined with beds 10-12 inches apart.

Today I was in MOU (the Maternal Obstetrics Unit). While we didn’t see a vaginal delivery, I saw enough of the labor process to decide I may not want to give birth unless I can have a continuous flow of epidurals beginning a week before birthing. The MOU sees up to 20 patients a day and are doing the best possible with the resources available. Yet, coming from the US where birthing centers are made to be comfortable and sterility is prioritized, I was shocked by some of the patient care I saw today. The waiting room was full of ten women sitting on plastic chairs grimacing as they wait to fully dilate. One by one they’re taken into an exam room where the sister (nurse) checks blood pressure, heart rate, dilation, and cervical effacement. The sheet underneath the patient is not changed between patients unless it is soiled by a significant amount of bodily fluid. Gloves are used most of the time, but not always, for blood draws. There were no rails on the bedsides – a few of the patients I observed seemed a hair away from rolling right off the bed. The ward was so hot and sticky that women are fanning themselves as they wait through contractions without any pain medication given. Post-examination, the doctor or nurse hands the patient a sanitary napkin which they press to themselves as they waddle back to the waiting area. I was amazed at how tough these women are.

Politics came up again today, no surprise since the air is thick with the upcoming election. An older white doctor pulled me aside today to whisper “Don’t tell, but I regard your Barack Obama as my president too. We have a new president coming in as well but, in order to be a free world, freedom of the press is necessary. Enjoy your stay!” and then walk away. Later on, I spoke to one of the host family’s twelve year old sons about the election. According to Makabuongwa, aka Makabee, people should vote for Zuma because “he is a very good man, just like Barack Obama.”

After rotation we were able to enjoy some of the beautiful weather by going to the beach. Makabee and his friend Mini were excited to put on their “costumes” and come along, thankfully so as we were completely dependent on them for directions. Tonight is a mellow night as tomorrow morning we’re heading out to the Mkhuze Game Reserve and St Lucia estuary for the long holiday weekend. We’ve been warned about hippos “picking up the car and throwing it away,” so wish me luck!